1. Contrast a LAN with a WAN.
2. What are the two basic underlying transmission techniques for a LAN?
3. Name the three basic LAN topologies. Identify a fourth that is a subset of one of the three.
4. What range of BER can we expect on LANs? How are such good BERs achieved?
5. If a LAN has 50 accesses, how many connectivities must be theoretically analyzed for sufficient S/N?
6. What two basic transmission problems must a designer face with a baseband LAN?
7. LLC derives from what familiar link-layer protocol?
8. Relate the IEEE 802 LAN standard model with the ISO seven-layer OSI model.
9. What is a LAN access protocol?
10. Name at least three responsibilities of the LLC.
11. What are the two services the LLC provides its users?
12. How are collisions detected with CSMA/CD?
13. What is the purpose of the jam signal on CSMA/CD?
14. What is the function of a frame check sequence (FCS)?
15. Give three reasons why a MAC frame may be invalid?
16. How does a LAN know that a traffic frame is destined to it?
17. What is frame stripping ?
18. How are collisions avoided using a token-passing scheme?
19. What is the function of a LAN repeater?
20. What are the four types of bridges covered in the text?
21. On what OSI layer do routers operate?
Was this article helpful?