1. Names three ways one might consider for configuring a metropolitan area network (MAN).
2. Which of the three ways of configuration would you use if re-siting nodes was not an option or requirement and the data rate on the backbone was > 54 Mbps.
3. Give two ways we can augment the capacity of a fiber-optic cable lay. Can you think of a third one?
4. Why would we want a ring network for the fiber option with automatic protection switching?
5. Give 3 unique differences in the WLAN arena between IEEE 802.11a and 802.11b.
6. What is the main function of AP in an 802.11 configuration.
7. How would one define an "ad hoc" network?
8. What access protocol is used on IEEE 802.11.
9. Suppose a node with traffic to send heard someone else on the medium. What action is taken?
10. What are the steps taken, in sequence, when a node has a packet to transmit?
11. The IEEE 802.15 standard goes by two common names. What are they?
12. Roughly, what kind of maximum operational range can I expect from a WPAN transmitter?
13. Distinguish between WLAnad WWPAN networks as far as lifespan is concerned.
14. What range of RF output power can we expect with an IEEE 802.15 device?
15. What frequency band does a Bluetooth device operate in? Give a number in hertz and give the name of the band.
16. What sort of RF modulation is used on IEEE 802.15 and why that particular type of modulation.
17. What sort of duplex scheme is used with 802.15?
18. Bluetooth/802.15 layer 2 has three functional boxes. Give the basic function of each box left-to-right.
19. How is synchronization maintained in an 802.15 piconet?
20. What broad frequency band do devices in the IEEE 802.16 band operate?
21. Give two of the three broad bandwidths permitted in 802.16.
22. In the design of 802.16 why don't we let the uplink and downlink transmit simultaneous?
23. In 802.16 operation why is the preamble required before proceeding onwards with a transmission?
24. Name three types of RF modulation we might expect to find in IEEE 802.16 installations.
25. For the 802.16 MAC protocol engine, what four broadband services are supported?
26. In 802.16 the ATM convergence sublayer provides support for two types of switched virtual connections. Name them.
27. What does fragmentation do to a MAC SDU?
28. There is a 2-bit fragmentation control field in the fragmentation subheader. What does it do. Hint: 2 bits, how many possibilities?
29. On 802.16, downlink transmissions can be one of two kinds of burst. What are the two?
30. All these downlink bursts are identified by a DIUC. What is that?
31. Uplink transmissions are invited transmissions and are in what kind of slots?
32. See question 31. If there is contention, how is it resolved?
33. A base station grants what important unit to a subscriber station?
34. For 802.16 uplink and downlink communications (TDM/TDMA), timing is extremely important. What procedure provides timing and time corrections?
35. In your own words: what does "authentication" mean?
Was this article helpful?